A Gastric Emptying Scan may be ordered by your doctor to check how quickly your child’s stomach empties, and may be used to diagnose gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying).
What will the scan involve?
- When you arrive, your child will be asked to drink milk or formula containing a trace of radioactive material. If your child is unable to drink by mouth, then an NG tube may be used.
- Your child will then lie down on a table with a camera underneath. It will take pictures over time to track the movement of the food or fluid through the digestive tract.
How long will it last?
This test will last approximately 2 hours and your total visit time will be approximately 3 hours.
Before the test
- Your child should not eat or drink anything for at least 4 hours before your test.
- Bring milk or formula to the appointment.
After the test
- Your child may resume his/her normal diet and activities after the test.
- Your child’s test results will be discussed with you at your child’s next follow up appointment at GI for Kids.