Periactin is the brand name of cyproheptadine. This drug is usually used to treat the symptoms of an allergic reaction and seasonal allergies. It can also be used to stimulate appetite for patients who are underweight and suffering from the loss of appetite.
How to take Periactin
- This medicine can come in a pill or liquid form. If the liquid form is given, use the measuring cup that comes with the medicine. Be sure to drink a full glass of water.
- The doctor will tell you whether to take two or three times a day.
- Eat healthy food often while on this medicine.
- Drink plenty of water while you are taking this medicine. Water, fruit juice and milk are good to drink to keep the fluids in your body. Stay away from sugary drinks and sodas because they will not help your thirst.
- Be sure the doctor knows about all the medications you are taking, including any over-the-counter medicines or herbal supplements because they may not work well with this medicine.
- Possible side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Upset stomach
- Feeling very tired (drowsiness)
- Unable to sleep (insomnia).
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Face or lips swelling.
- If you have an allergic reaction either call 911 or go to the Emergency Room.
- Do not take more of this medicine than you are supposed to. If you overdose, you may feel extreme tiredness, pale skin, confusion, large pupils, very dry mouth, vomiting, fainting and hallucinations. Call 911 if you accidently overdose.
How to keep your medicine
- Keep in a cool, dry, dark place.