Children 6-10 years of age (FOR TENNOVA)
It is very important to make sure that your child drinks plenty of fluids and does not become dehydrated. Signs of dehydration include: a dry sticky mouth, decreased urine output (little or no urine output for 8 hours) or dark urine, dizziness or lightheadedness, lethargy or decreased energy or playfulness, or lack of tears. If you think your child is becoming dehydrated, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
If your child is sick or has a fever within 24 hours of the time of his/her procedure, please notify our office immediately.
ALL LABORATORY TESTS ORDERED BY YOUR DOCTOR MUST BE DONE AND RESULTED PRIOR TO THE PROCEDURE OR THE CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE THE COLONOSCOPY ON THE SCHEDULED DAY.
Turkey Creek Medical Center will call you the day before the procedure to let you know when you should arrive at the hospital in the morning for your child’s procedure.
FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Your child may have only clear liquids on the day before the procedure. Clear liquids (you should be able to see light through it) include: Pedialyte, Gatorade, Powerade, light colored juices, tea, clear carbonated drinks, clear broth, bouillon, Jell-O and Popsicles. NO RED fluids should be given. There is no limit to the amount of clear liquids your child may have and we encourage you to offer plenty of fluids to ensure that your child does not become dehydrated.
- At 8:00 AM have your child drink 2 ounces of Magnesium Citrate OR 2 squares of Ex-Lax (over the counter) followed by 6 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade.
- At 10:00 AM mix 8 capfuls of Miralax with 16 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade. Allow your child to drink this until finished over the next 3 hours. Mixing capfuls into different flavors/beverages may be helpful to your child. Mixing in warm liquid may help it dissolve better.
- 1 tablet of Dulcolax (5mg laxative) with 8 ounces of Gatorade of Powerade.
At 12:00 PM: If your child is not tolerating the prep, please call the office for further instructions.
- At 4:00 PM have your child drink 2 ounces of Magnesium Citrate OR 2 squares of Ex-Lax (over the counter) followed by 6 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade or Powerade
- At 7:00 PM have your child take 1 tablet of Dulcolax (5mg laxative) with 8 ounces of Gatorade of Powerade.
At 10:00 PM: If your child still does not have clear watery diarrhea then repeat Step Four.
YOUR CHILD CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY THE SURGERY DEPARTMENT.