Children 6-10 years of age (FOR TENNOVA)
It is very important to make sure that you/your child drink plenty of fluids and does not become dehydrated. Signs of dehydration include: a dry sticky mouth, decreased urine output (little or no urine output for 8 hours) or dark urine, dizziness or lightheadedness, lethargy or decreased energy or playfulness, or lack of tears. If you think you/your child is becoming dehydrated, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
If you/your child is sick or has a fever within 24 hours of the time of his/her procedure, please notify our office immediately.
All lab work ordered must be completed and resulted before the procedure to avoid the possibly of rescheduling.
The Surgery Center of Cleveland is located at 137 25th St NE, Cleveland, TN. They will call you the day before you/your child’s procedure to give you an arrival time. Please make sure that if you are over 18 years of age, you bring someone with you to drive you home after your procedure. If your child is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must be present.
FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Your child may have only clear liquids on the day before the procedure. Clear liquids (you should be able to see light through it) include: Pedialyte, Gatorade, Powerade, light colored juices, tea, clear carbonated drinks, clear broth, bouillon, Jell-O and Popsicles. NO RED fluids should be given. There is no limit to the amount of clear liquids your child may have and we encourage you to offer plenty of fluids to ensure that your child does not become dehydrated.
- At 8:00 AM have your child drink 4 ounces of Magnesium Citrate (over the counter) or 3 squares of chocolate Ex-Lax followed by 6 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade.
- At 9:00 AM have your child take 2 tablets of Dulcolax (5mg laxative) with 8 ounces of Gatorade of Powerade.
- At 10:00 AM mix 15 capfuls of Miralax with 32 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade. Allow your child to drink this until finished over the next 3 hours. Mixing capfuls into different flavors/beverages may be helpful to your child. Mixing in warm liquid may help it dissolve better.
At 12:00 PM: If your child is not tolerating the prep, please call the office for further instructions.
- At 6:00 PM have your child drink 4 ounces of Magnesium Citrate (over the counter) or 3 squares of chocolate Ex-Lax followed by 6 ounces of Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade
- At 7:00 PM have your child take 2 tablets of Dulcolax (5mg laxative) with 8 ounces of Gatorade of Powerade.
At 10:00 PM: If your child still does not have clear watery diarrhea then repeat Step Five.
YOUR CHILD CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY THE SURGERY DEPARTMENT.