Ondansetron Hydrochloride (Zofran) blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that trigger nausea and vomiting.
How should it be used?
This medication is available in tablet, quick dissolving tablets, and liquid forms.
- Take medicine with or without food.
- Take tablet with a full glass of water.
- If using the quick dissolving form:
- Keep the tablet in the packet until you are ready to take the medicine.
- When you are ready to take the medicine, open the package and peel back the foil. Do not push a tablet through the foil or you may damage it.
- Using dry hands, remove the tablet and put in your mouth.
- Do not swallow the tablet whole; let it dissolve in your mouth without chewing it.
- Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves. You can drink a liquid to help swallow the dissolved tablet.
- If you are using the liquid form:
- Measure with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup – not a regular table spoon.
Your heart function may need to be testest on a regular basis. Do not miss any follow-up visits to your doctor.
Before you start taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:
- All of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements you are taking
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) taking this medicine or any ingredient in this medicine:
-tablets: ondansetron hydrochloride, lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, triacetin, and iron oxide yellow (8 mg tablet only)
-orally disintegrating tablet: ondansetron base, aspartame, gelatin, mannitol, methylparaben sodium, propylparaben sodium, strawberry flavor
-oral solution: ondanasetron HCL dihydrate equivalent to 4 mg of ondansetron, citric acid anhydrous, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sorbitol, and strawberry flavor
- Have phenlyketonuria (PKU)
- Have liver or renal (kidney) problems
- Are pregnant, plan of becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding.
The most common Side Effects include:
- Drowsiness (DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION AND DRIVE OR USE HEAVY MACHINERY UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY ALERT),
- decreased appetite,
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience: irregular heartbeat, chest pain, trouble urinating, or yellow skin or eyes.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Feeling sick
- Fever, shivering/chills, rash
- Muscle and bone pain
- Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Trouble breathing
Store between 36 and 86 degrees F in a tight container (solution) or in the original carton (tablets). Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.
There is no experience with the use of ZOFRAN Tablets, ZOFRAN ODT Tablets, or ZOFRAN Oral Solution in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in pediatric patients.