Azulfidine (Sulfasalazine)

For More Information
Please Contact Us

Sulfazalazine (Azulfidine) is used to treat inflammation, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal pain in patients with ulcerative colitis. Sulfaslazine is an anti-inflammatory drug that works to reduce inflammation in the body.

How should it be used?

  • Sulfasalazine comes in regular or delayed-release tablets.
  • Swallow the tablets whole; do not crush or chew the tablet.
  • Take with an 8oz. glass of water after a meal or with a light snack. Patients may have less chance of an upset stomach if taken with food.
  • Drink plenty of liquids while taking this medicine.
  • Take the medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking this medicine without talking to you doctor.

Special Precautions/Instructions

Tell your doctor if you have ever had:

  • A blockage in your intestine
  • An allergic reaction to any medication
  • A blood disorder such as G6PD
  • Asthma or severe allergies
  • Kidney or liver disease
  • Difficulty urinating
  • A problem (yypersensitivity) to sulfasalazine, its metabolites, sulfonamides, or salicylates.

Males: Males may produce less sperm while taking this medication. Sperm production should be normal once the patient stops taking this medicine. Speak with your doctor if you have questions.

Females: Females of childbearing age should tell their doctor if pregnant or breast-feeding.

Side Effects

Some non-serious side effects that may occur while taking this medication include: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache, urine discoloration, and loss of appetite.

Contact your doctor immediately if the below serious side effects occur:

  • Fever
  • Sore throat
  • Blood in urine
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Weakness
  • Yellowing of skin or eyes
  • Unusual bleeding or bruising

Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:

  • Diarrhea
  • Feeling sick
  • Fever, shivering/chills, rash
  • Muscle and bone pain
  • Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
  • Tiredness, dizziness
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Trouble breathing
  • Red skin rash, blistering, peeling

Storage Conditions

This product should be stored at room temperature. Do not expose to direct light, humidity, or high heat. Keep out of reach of children, and keep the container tightly closed.


Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.

Pediatric Use

The safety of this drug in children under age 2 has not yet been established.

Additional Information

For complete information, please visit: