Ursodiol (Urso Forte) is used to help dissolve small gallstones in people who cannot have gallbladder surgery, and to prevent gallstones from forming in people going thru rapid weight loss. It is sometimes used in people with liver disease.

How should it be used?

This medication is available in tablet form.

  • Tablets should be swallowed with a full glass of water – not chewed.
  • Take with food unless your doctor tells you differently.
  • Take medicine for the entire time the doctor prescribes.

Special Precautions/Instructions

Before you start taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:

  • All of the medicines (including over the counter) including cholestyramine (Questran), colestipol (Colestid), estrogens, hormone replacement, vitamins, herbal products, and supplements you are taking.
  • Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to any ingredient in this medicine:
    -ursodiol, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate, ethylcellulose, dibutyl sebacate, carnauba wax, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, PEG 3350, PEG 8000, cetyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate and hydrogen peroxide.
  • Have hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, or need a liver transplant.
  • Have variceal bleeding.
  • Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding.

Side Effects

The most common side effects include:

  • mild nausea and vomiting
  • gas
  • constipation
  • hair loss
  • headache
  • dry skin
  • muscle or joint pain

Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:

  • constant diarrhea
  • severe stomach pain
  • itchy rash
  • severe nausea and vomiting
  • pain when you urinate

Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:

  • Diarrhea
  • Feeling sick
  • Fever, shivering/chills, rash
  • Muscle and bone pain
  • Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
  • Tiredness, dizziness
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Trouble breathing

Storage Conditions

Store at room temperature in a tightly closed container. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.


Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.

1975 Town Center Blvd,
Knoxville, TN 37922

Site Map

1975 Town Center Blvd,
Knoxville, TN 37922

Site Map