Omeprazole (Prilosec OTC) prevents the stomach from making too much acid (heartburn). It is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, certain bacteria in the stomach, inflammation of the esophagus, and Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. It is also used to treat other conditions that cause too much stomach acid.
How should it be used?
This medication comes in a delay-released capsule and packets of delayed-released granules to mix with water.
- Take by mouth with water at least 1 hour before a meal.
- Swallow the delay-released capsule whole. If you have a problem swallowing it whole, open the capsule and put in applesauce. Mix and swallow with glass of water. Do not chew or crush the granules.
- Do not save to use later after mixing.
- Mix the powder form with water. Stir and wait 2-3 minutes so the mixture will get thick. Drink the entire mixture within 30 minutes.
It may take 1 to 4 days for you to feel the full benefit of taking this medicine. Call your doctor if your symptoms get worse, don’t improve after 14 days, or return sooner than 4 months after you finish taking.
Before taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:
- All of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements you are taking.
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to omeprazole or any other ingredients in this medicine:
- Omeprazole, glyceryl monostearate, hydroxypropyl cellulos, hypromellose, iron oxide, magnesium stearate, methacrylic acid copoymer, microcrystalline cellulose, paraffin, polyethylene glycol 6000, polysorbate 80, polyvinylpyrrolidone, sodium stearyl fumarate, starch, sucrose, talc, titanium dioxide, triethyl citrate.
- Allergic to any other proton pump inhibitor medication.
- Liver problems.
- Pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Take warfarin, prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medicines, diazepam, or digoxin.
- Have had heartburn over 3 months.
- Lightheadedness, sweating, or dizziness.
- Chest pain or shoulder pain.
- Shortness of breath or wheezing.
- Pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Stomach pain.
DO NOT USE if you:
- Are allergic to omeprazole.
- Have trouble or pain swallowing food.
- Have vomiting with blood.
- Have bloody or black stools.
The most common side effects include:
- Dry mouth
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- skin rash
- itching or hives
- Swelling of the face, lips or tongue
- Muscle and bone pain
- Dark yellow or brown urine.
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Chest pain or chest tightness.
Additional side effects may be found on the drug’s website http://www.prilosecotc.com.
This medication should be stored at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.
This drug is approved for use in patients 18 years old and older. For children under 18 ask your doctor.