Miralax (Polyethylene glycol 3350)

For More Information
Please Contact Us

Polyethylene glycol 3350 (over the counter Miralax) is a laxative used to treat constipation.

How should it be used?

  • Measure the medicine in the cap. Fill to the mark that shows the right amount to use.
  • Pour the powder into 4 to 8 ounces of a cold or hot drink like water, juice, soda, coffee or tea. Stir and drink right away.
  • Do not try to save for later.
  • Powder in the packet can be opened and added to full glass (8 ounces) of cold or hot drink. Stir and drink right away.
  • Do not use more than one time a day.

Do not use if you have a bowel obstruction or intestinal blockage or allergic to polyethylene glycol 3350.

Special Precautions/Instructions

Tell your doctor about all of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements you are taking before you start taking this medicine.

Tell your doctor if you:

  • Have kidney disease
  • Have nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
  • Have a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts over 2 weeks
  • Have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
  • Are taking a prescription drug
  • Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding

STOP USE and contact your doctor if you:

  • Have rectal bleeding or your nausea, bloating, cramping or abdominal pain worse
  • Get diarrhea
  • You need to use a laxative for longer than 1 week

Side Effects

Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:

  • Diarrhea
  • Feeling sick
  • Fever, shivering/chills, rash
  • Muscle and bone pain
  • Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
  • Tiredness, dizziness
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Trouble breathing

Additional side effects may be found on the drug’s website, which is listed below.

Storage Conditions

This medication should be stored at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.


Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.

Pediatric Use

This drug is approved for use in patients 17 years old and older. For children under 16 years of age, ask your doctor.

Additional Information

For complete information, please visit: http://www.miralax.com